Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Best Plan is Not to Plan

I was going to blog about Nepal. I had it all planned. I was going to be here for eight months and I thought during that time I would learn a thing or two about the place and I would want to share it with people. Well, not really people people, but the couple of friends who knew I was going to spend some time in Asia and might be interested to hear about the trouble I would be getting into, or the “kooky things” we were doing…my wonderful, incredible husband and I.


But things change, and what I have learned is to never make plans as plans have a way of changing on you. In November, after I had packed a bag with brand-spanking-new winter clothes and shoes, our world was rocked with some terribly traumatic news: my father-in-law was diagnosed with brain tumor(s). While he is being treated, the treatment is to give him time not give him a cure. My husband, an only child, is a selfless man who has resigned his job here with a Humanitarian Organization and will return to our home in Barbados, reclaim his office and position with a Humanitarian Organization, and be close to care for his ailing father…and he wouldn’t have it any other way, that is just the way he is.

Since we had already purchased my ticket, and I am not selfless and shamelessly admit I wanted to experience some of the things my dear husband had already experienced, we decided I would travel back with him (he came back to our side of the world for 6 weeks when his father became ill) and we would come back home together.

So, dear friends, I am only here for five weeks, six tops. And since I have to keep my day job, Monday thru Friday I will spend working as I would normally do in Barbados; however here I work outside at a hotel where I have purchased wireless internet access (our internet is down at our house) with cold hands but a warm heart as I am surrounded by the beauty of this land and its people. On the few weekends we have here I hope to be a tourist and get out and experience this frantic, dirty, chaotic, yet startlingly breathtaking place, Kathmandu.

I am not going to write and give you history and spout founts of knowledge; what I will try and do is show you what I am experiencing and maybe offer a bit of some of the local color that just might not be in the Lonely Planet Guide to Nepal.

Namaste

1 comment: